Re: Recent changes to gdk-pixbuf break full build of gtk+

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> Me:
>
> >> The code in pixops includes gdk-pixbuf.h, but since the pixops subdir builds
> >> before the top level gdk-pixbuf dir, the file gdk-pixbuf-enums.h is not yet
> >> generated.
> >>
> >> What is the right way to fix this? Do I need to file a bug report for this
> >> just-introduced problem?
>
> James:
>
> > I hadn't realised that I had introduced that problem with my enum types
> > patch :(  One possible fix might be to add the line to
> > gdk-pixbuf/Makefile.am:
> >
> > all-recursive: $(gdk_pixbuf_built_headers)
> >
> > I haven't tested this yet, but it should work.  It is a bit of a hack
> > though.
>
> Another alternative is to make sure that there's some way to include all the
> stuff that pixops needs without also including gdk-pixbuf-enums.h. A tiny
> bit of splitting up of gdk-pixbuf.h would do the trick.
>
> This fix wouldn't require any build hacks.

What I just did was to add a PixopsInterpType enum mirroring
GdkInterpType to pixops.h. and change pixops/* to use that.  a
gdk-interp-type.h seemed rather excessive to me, and the pixops
directory is really supposed to be self-contained.

> Who's going to fix this? I would do it myself, but the frustration caused by
> the "make fix, create patch, wait for commit approval" process combined with
> my limited time budget for gnome work makes me hesitate to do so unless one
> of the gtk maintainers specifically encourages me to.

For quick Makefile.am build fixes, such as James's suggestion, if
you know what you are doing, you should feel free to go ahead. :-)

If the build is broken, and there is some quick fix, I'd prefer if
someone fixed it and then we can discuss better fixes, rather
than leaving it broken.