Re: selected item in TreeView

>Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:
>> nope, text views can be used as non-scrollable views instead of
>> labels.
>
>In which case there is no selection so it makes no difference.
>
>If you just want blue text, do a tag that sets the color to blue.

Mm, but if you want blue to mean "text is selected", then you definitely do
not want to use a <blue> tag.

For one thing, it will become invisible if your text is themed blue by
default.

I'd like to point out something that occasionally may get forgotten:
all of these things really must be *themed* in order to be accessible.  Via
themes, the semantic content of visual attributes is preserved (which is
essential for blind users) and also it is possible to use alternate
(low-contrast and hight-constrast, for instance) themes for presenting the
information.

This isn't just a prettification feature for customization - some users
cannot see low-contrast visuals, many have various kinds of
color-blindness, and some actually find it physically painful to look at
high-contrast text.

We need to do an across-the-board sweep for theming compliance and make
sure that all of the default visual color and font (and sound, if any)
attributes of the widgets are themed.  Doing the same for apps is a
buglogging/fixing exercise.  Lack of preexisting low-contrast and
high-contrast themes has prevented us from doing this already, but as it is
getting late in the GTK+ cycle I guess we had better all check this now
(which I thought was a "given").

Failure to use themes for highlights/selections/visual "cues" is a serious
bug against both usability and accessibility.

Best regards,

Bill

------
Bill Haneman x19279