Re: GtkCurve

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> On 10 Sep 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
>

> > Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
> >
> > > GtkCurve, GammaCurve, and Ruler are not deprecated right now; were
> > > these intentional?
> >
> > In our original discussion on this, we decided against deprecating
> > things simply because we didn't feel they shouldn't have been
> > found in GTK until there was some new place to put them.
> >
> > Anything that we deprecate either needs to be completely useless,
> > or we need to have a firm recommendation for what people should
> > do instead. If we deprecate these widgets now, our recommendation
> > will have to be that they cut-and-paste-and-rename into their
> > own code.
> >
> > Do we want to make that recommendation?
>
> certainly not.
> i wouldn't add GtkRuler to gtk these days, but since we already
> have them, and they are sane widgets, we should keep them.

Well, I'm not sure I'd say that GtkRuler is a sane widget ... it
has a pretty darn weird API. But it is a functional widget, and
reasonably widely used. (GIMP, dia, few other apps.)

GtkCurve and GtkGammaCurve are not sane widgets by any definition,
except that they are SANE widgets (xsane being the source of
them and virtually the only app  that uses them.) They are ugly,
they have an odd API, they don't work very well, etc.

But I'd still be generally in favor of leaving these in place and
undeprecated until we have an exit strategy for moving them.