Re: Mac OS X Port of GTK+

Finlay Dobbie <finlay dobbie btinternet com> writes:
> (actually, I'd probably prefer it that way -- see the Qt port to OS X, which
> just looks ugly, along with the swing interface theme thing that Apple
> supplies -- neither of them emulate Aqua properly, and just look confusing
> IMHO... wouldn't it be possible to just create an Aqua theme for GTK if
> people really wanted it? as in bitmaps...).

What you need to do for look-and-feel is develop a MacOS X
lookalike/feelalike theme, and extend the GTK theme mechanism as
required to support it.  But that's something you can do at the end,
once the GDK port is working. It's sort of the "last 10%" step.

GDK is sort of a confusing mess, honestly, so it's hard to get started
on a new backend. But several people have done backends, so it's not
impossible. You want to keep the X docs nearby so you know how X
specifies the various events, what events occur when you do a grab,
etc. - it's important to think carefully about the X semantics in
order to properly emulate them.

The framebuffer port may be an easier starting point than the win32
port, because you don't have to know the win32 APIs in order to
understand it.

Havoc