Re: Final fileselector DnD patch

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Alex Larsson wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> >  I think it would be nice if there were provided public functions for
> > extracting file list or URL list from the dropped data or at least made those
> > functions easily deintegratable from gtk itself - most apps don't deal with
> > DND properly themselves, and those who do, don't do it properly (don't support
> > all formats or don't support non-ascii in filenames at all)..
>
> We do have the new g_filename_to/from_uri() functions that does the hard
> part of the work, but a function for splitting the uri-list could
> possibly be in some library.

 Also it would be nice to have something like

typedef void (*dnd_filelist_callback_t)(GtkWidget* w,GList* filenames);

void g_register_filelist_drop_notify(GtkWidget* widget,dnd_filelist_callback_t
cb,gboolean accept_non_local_urls);

 that would register (using gtk_object_set_data or how it's called now) a
callback that will be called by internal Drop handler when something is
dropped.
 Or introduce a low-level DND proxy that will convert various targets used by
DND by various apps to some internally supported "GTK:text/uri-list" target
and will manage all the glory details of supporting various file managers and
apps.

 This way we will provide developers with mature and advanced support for
file DND that is very easy to use.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad