Re: Final fileselector DnD patch

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Alex Larsson wrote:

> > > Where is the spec for this?
> >
> >  No spec handy (but gmc supports _NETSCAPE_URL - see the sources).
> >  Just hack testdnd.c (AFAIR), start netscape, drop from it and watch the
> > content being dropped. Don't forget to test filenames with non-ascii and
> > http-special chars in them..
>
> I will take a look at it.

 OK, thanks.

> >  And text/uri-list - who uses it? Mozilla? And what about KDE world - have you
> > investignated?
>
> Yes. It is part of the new DnD spec.
>
> Dnd from/to nautilus and konqueror mostly works.
>
> Of course, things can go funky with escaping. Most apps probably doesn't
> encode the URI in UTF8 yet, but the spec doesn't specify an encoding, or
> allow one to be specified in the list, so UTF8 is the only non-broken
> choice.

 I think it would be nice if there were provided public functions for
extracting file list or URL list from the dropped data or at least made those
functions easily deintegratable from gtk itself - most apps don't deal with
DND properly themselves, and those who do, don't do it properly (don't support
all formats or don't support non-ascii in filenames at all)..

 Best regards,
  -Vlad