GtkMenuItems

Hi
  Firstly of all sorry for my poor english.
  Well, my problem is that I'm trying to get the label of a
GtkMenuItem.I've created a GtkOptionMenu (with Glade) which (if I'm not
wrong) contains a GtkMenu which contains some GtkMenuItems. When I want
to get the option selected, I wait for a "selection-done" signal in the
GtkMenu. In that moment I try to catch the active GtkMenuItem with
gtk_menu_get_active :

    GtkMenuItem *menuit=GTK_MENU_ITEM(gtk_menu_get_active(menu); //menu
is the parameter to the function that catch the signal
    GtkBin *mibin=GTK_BIN(menuit);

..but surprisely (maybe for me of course,I'm a beginer) mibin->child is
NULL. I've tried to follow the components of the structure GtkMenuItem
looking for the label(u know,"more or less menuit->item->bin->child"),
but ...equal.

 So, securely there's another way of catching the active menu but if u
consider that I'm not wrong at all, what's my error?
 And if I'm wrong at all, what's the way I must follow?

 Thanks for your help.