Compiling gtk-1.3.10 under win2k

Antonio Caruso writes:
 > The README.win32 included say that I need libiconv and libintl and
 > that I can download these libraries from a link. I followed the
 > link, but it doens't work.

You mean the clisp.cons.org link? True, there seems to be something
wrong with that. I don't know whether it is permanently offline, or
just some temporary problem.

Anyway, if you look at www.gimp.org/win32/new-downloads.html, you will
find prebuilt libiconv and libintl, including pkg-config files. That
is a pretty recent web page, and the link to it is almost hidden in
the www.gimp.org/win32/downloads.html page. (I have announced it on
the gimpwin-dev list. If you are serious on developing GTK-using
software on Windows, you should join that list. It is not about only
GIMP stuff.)

 > I download the src package for liniconv and compile it with Microsoft VC6
 > beta.

 > After same configuration errors, moving around the include file and
 > the .lib file of these libraries in order to find them during
 > compilation I obtain the following error:
 >
 > LIBC.lib(crt0dat.obj) : error LNK2005: __exit già definito in
 > MSVCRT.lib(MSVCR70

 > LINK : warning LNK4098: la libreria predefinita "MSVCRT" è in
 > conflitto con l'ut ilizzo di altre librerie; utilizzare
 > /NODEFAULTLIB:libreria

It is trying to say that you have compiled the iconv and/or intl
libraries to use the static C library (libc.lib, -ML flag to cl),
which you are building glib with msvcrt.dll (-MD flag). Msvcrt.dll is
really the one that should be used, recompile the other libraries to
use it.

 > Why you don't put 3 .tar.gz 1) gtk.tar.gz 2) libiconv.tar.gz 3)
 > libintl.tar.gz that extracted in the same directory (e.g. glib....)
 > and in the right subdirs of it, just compile with nmake /f
 > makefile.msc

Umm, I don't follow you hered. If you get the zips now linked to from
that new-downloads.html page, and unzip them in one location, it
should provide a reasonably well structured subtree with headers and
libraries (DLLs and import libs) for iconv, intl, etc.

 > I think that if you build the 3 package src distrib, a lot of people like me
 > that would start understanding gtk2 under win, have a better life.
 > I'm not sufficient experince for editing build scripts.

GLib 1.3.*, and *especially* GTK 1.3.* are developer versions, meaning
some level of expertise is expected. Building this stuff on Windows
*will* be a pain for the unexperienced, that is why I provide those
prebuilt packages.

--tml