Re: GtkStockItem ...

Hi Owen,

On 19 Oct 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I guess one question, which is more of a style question, is whether
> it's possible to have useful tooltips that are generic:

        Good point; clearly people will want to override them, but I think
many of them could have useful fallback tips, and some purely generic ones
eg.

Generic:  Undo, Redo, Cut, Paste, Copy, Find, Replace, Back, Forward,
          Help, Home, Italic, Center, Fill, Left, Right, No, Ok,
          Paste, Preferences, Quit, Zoom 100%, Zoom to Fit, Zoom In,
          Zoom Out, Spell Check, Strikethrough

Less generic: New, Save, Open, Save As, Print, Print Preview ...

> That, is, for "Save", would I want the tooltip to be "Save" (that's
> not useful is it?), or should it be:
>
>   Save Document

        Well - I think using a word such as document would prolly be best
in many cases, or perhaps 'data' if we're Anal; or even just having a NULL
tooltip for these cases.

        Convinced of the utility ? it's a real pain having standard
everything but tooltips :-) still gagging to make up a patch.

        Regards,

                Michael.