Re: gdk backend dependencies in gtk

----- Original Message -----
From: "Owen Taylor" <otaylor redhat com>
To: "Matthias Clasen" <matthiasc poet de>
Cc: <gtk-devel-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: gdk backend dependencies in gtk

> > Furthermore, I would propose to add
> >
> > GdkWindow *gdk_window_lookup (GdkNativeWindow *)
>
> Exporting this function in the cross-toolkit headers seems reasonable
> to me. (As Hans pointed out, it should be GdkNativeWindow not
> GdkNativeWindow *).

Turned out that gdk_window_foreign_new was needed as well. And I found
that there are pixmap variants gdk_pixmap_lookup, gdk_pixmap_foreign_new
which want lifting too. A patch for review is at

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/showattachment.cgi?attach_id=5817

[Long explanation of backend issues with timestamps omitted]

> In any case, I believe that viewing the current GDK/GTK+ split as the
> split between port-independent and port-dependent code in these cases
> is not right, and either we have to do a lot of code movement
> (not really feasible for GTK+-2.0 at this point), or we have
> to accept port-specific code in libgtk.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Matthias