Re: [Usability] Re: RFE - API change from GtkMessageDialog to GtkAlert

On Fri, 2001-11-23 at 16:36, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it's way too late
> to do it for 2.0. (We've now cut off even tiny API changes.)
>
> We could _add_ this for 2.2, however. Feel free to file a bug to that
> effect. (Personally I think it would be confusing to programmers and
> probably lead to inconsistency on the desktop.)
>
> The change to make the icon extend all the way down the side would be
> easy enough to do compatibly with a little hackish repacking of the
> GtkDialog in the init function; anybody who actually _did_ put help
> buttons in their GtkMessageDialog would perhaps get a non-optimal
> result, but otherwise it would be fine.

I don't think we necessarily have agreement that this is what we want to
do.

Can we also lose the seperator? I don't think that will require an API
change because the NO_SEPERATOR flag isn't valid in GtkMessageDialog
anyway. In something as simple as an alert seperators add needless
visual noise.

-Seth