Re: Outstanding issues

Soeren Sandmann <sandmann daimi au dk> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
>
> > Here's what's left on blocking issues for 1.3.11:
>
> Well, I'm probably missing something obvious, but as far as I can
> tell, without API to allow a theme to override !redraw_on_allocate
> widgets, gtk_set_redraw_on_allocate() will either be broken or
> useless.
>
> broken: if only parts of, say, GtkTextView's GdkWindow is invalidated
> on opaque resize, then a theme can't use a gradient background for
> that widget.
>
> useless: if all parts of a widget's window is invalidated whether or
> not the widget is redraw_on_allocate or not, then redraw_on_allocate
> will serve no purpose.

Style properties are not covered by the API freeze; if we implement
such a "theme decides whether entire area needs to be redrawn" then it
would be a style property.

Or we might just say that gradient themes can't make toplevel windows
covered by gradients...

And no, redraw_on_allocate() is not at all useless even if we always
invalidated the background of the window. It's still useful for window
widgets: which was what it was intended for originally.

Things like GtkTextView, GtkTreeView, GtkViewport can win big by not
redrawing the entire area when allocated bigger.