Re: gtk_tree_selection_set_select_func()

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 20:06, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> murrayc t-online de (Murray Cumming) writes:
>
> > Why doesn't GtkTreeSelection have a "before_changed" signal instead of
> > this separate select function?

> I don't particularly like signals with return values, and didn't see any
> compelling reason to make it a signal instead of a function.

The fact that the signal system already existed, and that language bindings
had ways to wrap signals automatically was quite compelling.

>  It'll be
> faster when selecting a large area.

I'll wrap it as a signal in gtkmm. This will test your theory.

>  I was also trying to avoid emitting
> a signal for every selection event, as people always try to keep an
> internal selection list in sync with the real selection with that, and
> they often get it wrong.

I think that the select_func is really just a signal that's not called a
signal, and that doesn't use the full signal system, for cosmetic
reasons. I know that it's too late to be talking about this now. I just
wanted to be sure that there was nothing special about it, so that I
could wrap it properly.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net