Re: fun with window managers.. (help!)

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> "Matthias Clasen" <matthiasc poet de> writes:
> > Using the test program I just posted, I can verify that fvwm 2.4 and kde2
> > respect clients
> > unwillingness to receive focus and treat all 4 ICCCM focus modes correctly.
> > Metacity doesn't :-(
>
> Yeah, I know. It used to work at one point, but I broke it so I could
> a) get key events in xev and b) focus output-only windows in order to
> key-navigate them (i.e. you have to be able to focus the window to pop
> up its window menu with Alt+space). So I probably need some concept of
> "focused according to Metacity but not really focused" or something.
> It's sort of a low priority, since so far the only output-only client
> I've encountered has been xev.

Important output-only clients are the status windows for input
methods; if you focus those, you can get into "infinite"

 focus app => pop up status => focus status => unfocus app =?
 pop down status => focus app => ....

Loops. Sawfish has a config setting for whether it focuses
windows that don't ask for it or not.