Re: libtool-1.4 / automake-1.4p1

Owen Taylor wrote:
> Drazen Kacar <dave arsdigita com> writes:
>
> > Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:

> > > OK but it is still gettext problem and IMHO this must be fixed in gettext
> > > space not outside (in any other project which uses gettext).
> > > If You know whot is wrong in gettext send a patch for example to this
> >
> > It is fixed in GNU gettext 0.10.36.
>
> Well, "fixed" in the sense that the gettext 0.10.36 macro simply
> refuses to use anything but the gettext from GNU libc or the (GPL)
> GNU gettext library.

Yes, but considering that GNU gettext and Solaris gettext have different
semantics in some areas, I don't see what else can be done. If you use
Solaris gettext with translations intended for GNU gettext, your program
could crash or not display some messages. So refusing to link with the
implementation that has different semantics seems sensible to me.

The license problem is interesting. It's currently preventing me from
publishing my binary packages, because I don't know if all those LGPL
libraries linked against GPL gettext library have to be distributed under
GPL or not.

--
 .-.   .-.    Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.