Re: The future of GdkFont declarations

ERDI Gergo <cactus cactus rulez org> writes:

> Having looked at those, I kinda miss the point -- can't you just get the
> FontDescription, modify some fields, and put it back?

No. Because then you override fields you don't care about. Getting the
original font description doesn't help, because the theme could
change.

You want to modify only the aspects that you actually care about.
That way if the theme changes the default font family, GnomeAbout will
also change family, while preserving the "larger size" aspect of
things.

Also, the get/set cycle is inconvenient so people wouldn't do it (even
if it were a good idea).

> BTW, wouldn't it be possible to implement these rendered-text-related
> properties in one place and then re-use it in GtkLabel,
> GtkCellRendererText and GnomeCanvasText?

We thought about that for label/cellrenderertext and couldn't come up
with a good way to do so. The three objects are slightly different
anyway, and have to remain so for historical reasons.

Havoc