Re: fonts for pango

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 11:39:09AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Cristian Prevedello wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > i've compiled gtk for framebuffer on i386 with some examples.
> > However i couldn't run any of them due problems with pango fonts.
> >
> > I downloaded URW fonts from the gimp homepage, and untarred them into
> > /usr/local/lib/pango/ft2fonts/ (where pango is looking), and
> > i setup the following aliases: sans, serif, monospace.
> > I think i'm doing something wrong at this point. Into the alias file
> > i've something like this:
> >
> > sans normal normal normal normal "StandardSymL"
> >
> > Not sure if *StandardSymL* is the right thing. I tried with the filename, with
> > the full name found inside fonts.dir, but no luck.
> > What exactly should be specified there?
> > thank you.
>
> For the urw fonts you could use something like this:
>
> sans normal normal normal normal "urw gothic l"
> serif normal normal normal normal "urw palladio l"
> monospace normal normal normal normal "nimbus mono l"

Thank you for your valuable help, i could go move another step forward
gtk framebuffer, but another odd thing happens :)

if i run a gtk example i get the following message:

Gdk-ERROR **: file gdkfont-fb.c: line 148 (gdk_font_from_description):
assertion failed: ((font->ascent > 0) || (font->descent > 0))

The odd thing is it works if i run the example under strace :). Of course in
this case i get no font.

Anyway, isn't available a font HOWTO?

thank you.
--
Cristian Prevedello, System Administrator at Prosa Labs
plasma prosa it, http://www.prosa.it/