Re: gdk_selection.c:sanitize_ctext is broken in 1.2.9

On 15 Mar 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru> writes:
>
> > On 13 Mar 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > > OK, looking again at the Xlib code and the CTEXT spec, it appears that
> > > the CTEXT spec was at some point extended to accomodate this (section
> > > 6) but the initial section that describes what characters are allowed
> > > was never updated :-(.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, according to the spec, anything is allowed in an
> > > extended segment, including all of C0 and C1, so probably we need to
> > > add explicit recognition of extended segments to sanitize_ctext().
>
> [...]
>
> >  Thanks you for this.
> >
> >  I want to add that I just tried gtk+-1.2.9 and found that I can't cut and
> > paste russian to/from any gtk widget due to brokeness of sanitize_ctext! That
> > hackish patch fixes the problem. So the problem should be definitely fixed!
>
> Patch appended fixes cut-and-paste of Russian for me.

 I tested it - works fine with XLib from XFree-3.3.6. Thanks.

> >  Also small addition: by the "old XFree servers" ANY XFree with version <=
> > 4.0.1 was ment in my mail.
>
> I dont' understand what you meant by this. Are there problems that occcur
> with old XFree86 libraries (server is irrelevant) that don't occur with
> current XFree86 libraries?

 I just asked Alexey Novodvorsky <aen logic ru> (the author of the hackish
patch) about that - he says that it Xlib from XFree with version <= 4.0.2 were
using broken escape sequences. He said that for these Xlibs (older than CVS
XFree) the implementation as in your patch won't filter out some escape
sequences.. Though when I tested it (using a lot of combinations), I didn't
see any artefacts with cut&paste of russian and text in window titles.
I'd recommend you to collaborate with Alexey, not with me, if you are really
concerned about all these potential problems.

>                                         Owen

 Thanks.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad