Re: GtkEntry needs to be fixed in order to work correctly with fonts (not fontsets) under non-latin1 single-byte locale

On 15 Mar 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

 Hi,

 I'm sorry for such late reply..

> Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru> writes:
>
> > > If you can get me a patch by tomorrow morning, my time, that:
> > >
> > >  - Fixes all occurences of conversion between characters and bytes
> > >    by direct assignment by using the GDK functions.
> > >
> > >    (Note that this occurs in GtkText as well - see, e.g., line 3773)
> > >
> > >  - Is thoroughly tested out.
> > >
> > > Then I'll consider it for inclusion in 1.2.10. But I don't want to
> > > just make random changes in hopes of moving forward.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >                                         Owen
> >
> >  Here are the patch against gtkentry.c (tested with and without fontsets under
> > russian locale, with and without use_std_env in XLC_LOCALE) - everything seems
> > to work fine (and the bug is fixed by it of course).
> >
> >  Also a small patch to GtkText attached of the similar brand. Though I never
> > triggered a problem it potentially fixes, so it's not that necessary to apply
> > it..
>
> I had absolutely no trouble causing GTK+ to die with an assertion failure
> in about two seconds with LC_ALL=koi8-r, a font (not fontset), and without
> this patch.

 It's unfair - you use patch by Sergey Vlasov that added that assert :)

> So, I think it's pretty necessary to apply it if you want this to work.

 Of course I don't mind.

> >  What do you think of them? Will they go into gtk-1.2.10?
>
> The attached patch is basically your patch, with some cleanups. I've
> also added a small fix for the handling of '*' which was broken in
> a similar way, though I don't think it was causing any problems.

 Yes, I also think that '*' could be affecting matters.

> I do plan to apply this for 1.2.10.

 Thanks! It seems that gtk+-1.2.10 will be the 1st gtk supporting fonts
(not fontsets) under non-latin1 locales!
 I just tested both patches in all combinations under XFree-3.3.6 and XLib
form it - everything is fine.

 Thanks!

 Best regards,
  -Vlad