Re: [HCI] Focus navigation with arrow keys

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> On 9 Mar 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
>

> > Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> > > what?
> > >
> > > heck, ever moved around in a dialog like this:
> > >
> > > +---------------+ +---------------+
> > > |               | |               |
> > > | label |entry| | | label |entry| |
> > > |               | |               |
> > > | label |entry| | | label |entry| |
> > > |               | |               |
> > > +---------------+ +---------------+
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > Hmmm, if I'm in the upper left entry, I can't move to
> > the upper right entry by hitting <Right>, because <Right>
> > moves the cursor.
> >
> > So, how does having the directional navigation help here?
>
> yeah well, buttons are a way better example ;)

I find, when trying to use the arrow key navigation that my
thought processes run exactly like the above.

 - why isn't focusing working?

 - it's broken!

 - Oh, it's an entry.

For me at least, it's confusing and frustrating when the focus
gets trapped in an entry if I'm trying to navigate with the
arrow keys, so I don't use them.

(The windows solution here, as Hans Breuer pointed out a while
ago is that arrow keys navigate only navigate within a restricted
set of widgets where arrow keys don't do anything else and
won't take you out of that group.)