Re: PangoFontMetrics: approximate_[char|digit]_width

Hi,

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> The problem is that the max char width can be really huge.  The
> majority of the time it would be far too big (given how pangox.c works
> - max may be correct for other backends).
>
> If the entry isn't quite wide enough, entries do scroll, its not
> disaster. So this approximate width is intended to just take a good
> average guess.

Agreed.

> You're probably right here, since the max of those 10 digits won't
> ever be huge, as the max of the characters may be.

Do we change approximate_digit_width to max_digit_width then?

Actually the values are supposed to give a good guess on the
average glyph advance, not the glyphs width, since they will
be used to guess the width of a rendered string which is
determined by the sum of advances. (The sum of all but the last
glyphs advances plus the last glyphs width to be correct, but
that would be overly picky.) Propably the fields names should
be changed keeping that in mind ?

Salut, Sven