Re: why so few themes are shipped with gnome-1.4?

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:

>  I guess using imlib2 somehow with pixmap engine somehow will improve state of
> matters with pixmap-engine based themes considerably since imlib2 contains
> hand-optimized assembly versions of some time-consuming routines.

My experience has been that the bulk of the slowness comes from poor
memory management with imlib.  Pixmap themes seem to chew up all available
memory.  I think with modern compilers and graphics hardware there isn't
much point in writing asm blitters, especially with the broken memory
managment.

I would advocate fixing/reimplementing the pixmap theme to use pixbuf and
to have considerable effort put into minimising the memory usage.  Not
that I'm offering...  It would be a good project though.

njh