Re: why so few themes are shipped with gnome-1.4?
- From: Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru>
- To: Jeff Waugh <jdub aphid net>
- Cc: gtk-devel-list gnome org, gnome-devel-list gnome org, gnome-hackers gnome org
- Subject: Re: why so few themes are shipped with gnome-1.4?
- Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:59:53 +0400 (SAMT)
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Vlad Harchev">
> > I think there is no need to add more gtk engines - all that can be added is
> > new gtk themes that use already existing engines (mostly Pixmap-based themes -
> > they look nice). So, no additional code to be added - just more gtkrc's,
> > pixmaps and READMEs - nothing to rot.
> Ack! The pixmap themes are to a large extent horrible, and (bluntly), don't
> do anything for Gnome's image as a fast, usable desktop environment.
At least themes using pixmap engine and pixmaps for small elements
(checkboxes, radios, scrollers) look cool and work fast.
I guess using imlib2 somehow with pixmap engine somehow will improve state of
matters with pixmap-engine based themes considerably since imlib2 contains
hand-optimized assembly versions of some time-consuming routines.
] [Thread Prev