Re: [SUMMARY] Fun, relatively simple feature help

Kristian Rietveld <kristian planet nl> writes:

> On 6 Jun 2001, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> >
> > A feature that would be nice for GtkTreeView to have is an interactive
> > search facility.  This could be done relatively easily, and shouldn't
> > take that long to do for anyone with some knowledge of GTK+.
> > Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to add it before GTK 2.0, so
> > if anyone is looking for something to do and is interested in tackling
> > this project, let me know.
>
> I already told that I would like to implement this. But haven't had the
> time to do it yet (really busy with school, which will finally be over at
> Friday ;). So starting with Friday I'll have some serious time to do some
> serious hacking ...
>
> Therefore I wrote a small summary of this thread, so I know which feature
> I've to implement. If there are any other ideas, please tell. The already
> suggested ideas are:
>
> - C-s brings up an entry where you could type text in. As you type in the
> text, it would search the model for text relating to that.
> - we may use regexps (in the C-s dialog or in an seperate C-M-s dialog)
> - type the first 'n' characters of a word and it will go to the first
> matching row that starts with those first 'n' characters.
> - highlighting of matching elements which aren't selected
> - M-g could cause those prelighted elements to be grouped together
>
> I think it's the best if I first hack on the 'type first characters'
> method. Regexp searching, highlighting matching elements and grouping
> prelighted elements could be added later.

Grouping isn't going to happen in time for GTK 2.  Getting C-s working
would be a huge step in the right direction, and we can look from there
where to go.

Please, if at all possible, try to implement this only using the public
API.  If there are changes that are needed to be made to it so that you
can write this, we need to know now.

Thanks,
-Jonathan