[SUMMARY] Fun, relatively simple feature help

On 6 Jun 2001, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

> A feature that would be nice for GtkTreeView to have is an interactive
> search facility.  This could be done relatively easily, and shouldn't
> take that long to do for anyone with some knowledge of GTK+.
> Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to add it before GTK 2.0, so
> if anyone is looking for something to do and is interested in tackling
> this project, let me know.

I already told that I would like to implement this. But haven't had the
time to do it yet (really busy with school, which will finally be over at
Friday ;). So starting with Friday I'll have some serious time to do some
serious hacking ...

Therefore I wrote a small summary of this thread, so I know which feature
I've to implement. If there are any other ideas, please tell. The already
suggested ideas are:

- C-s brings up an entry where you could type text in. As you type in the
text, it would search the model for text relating to that.
- we may use regexps (in the C-s dialog or in an seperate C-M-s dialog)
- type the first 'n' characters of a word and it will go to the first
matching row that starts with those first 'n' characters.
- highlighting of matching elements which aren't selected
- M-g could cause those prelighted elements to be grouped together

I think it's the best if I first hack on the 'type first characters'
method. Regexp searching, highlighting matching elements and grouping
prelighted elements could be added later.

regards,

	Kris

--
Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
	Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

-Catullus (Carmen 85)