Re: API Freeze Schedule and outstanding API bugs

Thomas Broyer <tbroyer ltgt net> writes:

> Le 08/06/01 00:40:03, Owen Taylor a écrit :
> > Patches ready to apply
> > ======================
>
> What about the one I posted here about TreeView "expander column" (I didn't
> open a bug, should I have?)
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2001-June/msg00023.html
>
> Currently, the expander_column refers to the offset of a displayed column
> view. When you dnd that column, expander arrows don't follow it.
>
> The question here is: is it more likely that people want expander arrows
> attached to a specific column, following it when dnd'ed, or location?
>
> The first option appears more logical to me.
>
> If one wants to have "fixed" expander arrows, it's likely to be only in the
> left side (or right side if direction is RTL, and when TreeView will
> support it).

I'm fairly indifferent to this issue.  If you file a bug, it might be
considered.  However, given the amount left to be done, unless a patch
appears, it's unlikely to go in the tree.

> In the rare cases (if any ; I can't find any reason for this) in which one
> will want to have expander arrows attached to a specific location, not on
> the left (or right) side and not following dnd, he'll still be able to
> change the expander_column on columns_changed event.

> Still about TreeView, and DnD.
> API has changed recently to set "dragability" (called "reorderability") in
> a column by column basis.
> Either it is not finished or I don't see what was the issue here.
>
> The problem is that even if you set a column as "unreorderable", you can
> still move it by moving other columns around.
> Make a simple TreeView with 3 columns for example (see attached file), and
> set only the second and third TreeViewColumns as reorderable. You can move
> the first column to the right end of the window just dragging the second
> and third columns before it.
>
> So how is reordering supposed to work?

I think there is no way around this.  One thing you can do is use
gtk_tree_view_set_column_drag_function to prevent that from happening.
I basically came to the conclusion that I couldn't cover all bases, and
that if the user went to the trouble of setting some (but not all)
columns reorderable -- they could handle it themselves.

-Jonathan