Re: gdk-pixbuf and mime-types

jacob berkman <jacob ximian com> writes:
> while hacking eog to use the new file selector, it occured to me that
> eog doesn't actually know what kinds of files it can open, since this
> depends entirely on gdk-pixbuf (which can actually load files of types
> it didn't come with, due to the plugins, right?).

You can't add third-party modules at the moment (the module list is
compiled in).

> so are there problems with adding API to gdk-pixbuf to get a list of
> mime-types it thinks it can load?

Seems fairly sane. At the moment we have
pixbuf_loader_new_with_type(), gdk_pixbuf_save() that take a name like
"png" rather than a mime type, not sure how that fits in.

Maybe return stuff like:
struct _GdkPixbufLoaderInfo
{
  char *name;
  char *id;
  char *mimetype;
};

static GdkPixbufLoaderInfo info = { N_("PNG"), "png", "foo/whatever-png" };

void gdk_pixbuf_get_loader_list (GdkPixbufLoaderInfo **loaders,
                                 int                  *n_loaders);

?

I don't know. Maybe we should kill the "png" string and just use
whatever the MIME type for PNG is, but that would break back compat
etc.

Havoc