Re: patch to change behavior of g_strsplit on empty string back to 1.2 behavior

On Wednesday, July 18, 2001, at 02:12  PM, Owen Taylor wrote:

Well, there is clearly one thing missing here ... the corresponding
change to the documentation (docs/glib/tmpl/string_utils.sgml) :-)

That needs a comment to the point:

 "The result of a splitting an empty string is an empty vector"

Since there is no way you could logically deduce this.

I put a new patch into the bug report. There are really three things the patch accomplishes:

1) adds a special case to make empty string be like 1.2 [now seems questionable to me] 2) changes the rule so that the max_tokens parameter works more like perl's split parameter [introducing another difference from 1.2 just as I remove the other!]
    3) does various other cleanups

Parts 1 and 2 of the patch may not really be improvements. Maybe we want neither, maybe we want one but not the other. I've lost my sense of what would be better in this particular corner of pedantry and trivia. But the other cleanups in my patch are nice and it would be good to get them in regardless.

I'll just leave this patch in the bug report (57633) for now, but I'll be glad to do further work on this if requested.

    -- Darin