Re: patch to change behavior of g_strsplit on empty string back to 1.2 behavior

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> On Wednesday, July 18, 2001, at 02:12  PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > The code in GLib stable didn't do that either, however, what it
> > produced was
> >
> >   "w,x,y,z", ",", 2 => "w" "x" "y,z"
>
> After re-reading it, I think this matches what the docs say.

The docs are not clear on the matter. And of course, they were written
after the code.

On the other hand:

 - I don't think it really makes sense to produce more than max_tokens
   elements in the array.

 - g_strsplit() was based on perl's split function, and we have:

   $ perl -e 'print join ("|", split /:/, "a:b:c:d", 2), "\n"'
   a|b:c:d

I actually know of no decent reason to use max_tokens, and would
guess that the vast majority of all cases use 0 or -1, so it may
be fairly academic.