Re: UTF-8 Functions

On Sunday, July 1, 2001, at 06:17  PM, Owen Taylor wrote:

But if people have other easy-to-implement improvements, I'd be
happy to consider them as well.

My first thought is that if we plan to some day implement a more sophisticated collation algorithm, it might be good to have a single function that combines g_utf8_casefold and g_utf8_collate_key. It might be nice if the fact that these are two separate operations today doesn't prevent us from doing the casefolded collation efficiently later.

Also, just out of curiosity, I'd like to understand if g_utf8_collate_key provides any guarantee about how it will work with strings and various normalizations of the same string. Will a normalized string collate == the same string before it was normalized? For which flavors of normalization?

My apologies for not reading the code before asking these questions. I'll do that soon.

    -- Darin