Re: range inversion/mapping [patch]

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you think about doing it as with GtkSpinButton, where the mapping
> is to strings rather than numbers? Does that work for the cases you
> wanted, or not really? It would let someone have a scale of months
> from January to February for example, and would be consistent with
> SpinButton, so would be nice if it worked.
>
> Havoc

That wouldn't work very well for the cases I was thinking about.
For example to get the same behavior that this patch puts in the range
window(of testgtk) would require an extra GtkAdjustment and 2 extra signal
handlers if we used only string mapping.

I can see how it would be very handy to be able to customize the text
output to display the number as currency or just generally show the unit
of measurement.

I would say that both string and numerical mappings have their place.
Perhaps both should be provided.

Jay Cox
jaycox gimp org