Re: range inversion

On 16 Feb 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Jay Cox <jaycox gimp org> writes:
> > It seems to me that inverted is only one of many mappings that
> > would be usefull in the range widget.  There are many instances
> > where I would find a range widget that used a log or sqrt mapping
> > for the slider position usefull.
>
> The way to do that is the way we've done it for the spin button,
> with the input/output signals that let you substitute your own text
> for each value. Then it's extensible. I think we're sort of in "punt
> features" mode though, so I don't know if that will happen.

the ranges definitely need a way for the user to hook in and provide
his own type of mapping. though log/sqrt are usefull mappings, the
range mapping facilities shouldn't be limited to this fixed set.
putting gtk_range_set_inverted() and maybe assorted friends is only
a shortterm kludge, use a user-configurable signal right away and
don't bloat the API ;)

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ