application modality vs. window modality
- From: Christopher Blizzard <blizzard redhat com>
- To: gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: application modality vs. window modality
- Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:41:01 -0500
There's a bug in Mozilla* that got me thinking. It might be very nice
to have the ability to set a window ( a dialog or whatever ) as modal to
a specific parent window. There are cases where you need a decision
made in an application's window where other windows that are in that
application don't need to be blocked.
Right now I'm pretty sure that all we have is the concept of
application-wide modality. I think that right now you can create a
transient dialog for a window but putting a grab on that window so that
events can't be sent to the parent window doesn't work without blocking
all of the windows in the app.
From an API standpoint I'm thinking along the same lines of how you set
transient parents for dialogs.
What do people think? I think it would be a useful addition and it
shouldn't be too tough to do from an implementation standpoint.
* The bug is http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=65521 for
anyone who cares.
] [Thread Prev