Re: adding docs/* to reference manual

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think a lot of the stuff in docs/* should actually be in the
> reference manual so people know it exists and can read it without
> getting the GTK source tarball. Propose the following reference
> sections for starters:
>
>  - Compiling GTK; covers configure options, etc.
>  - GTK on embedded Linux; covers stuff from README.linux-fb, also
>    tips on stripping GTK down to smaller size, etc.
>  - GTK on Windows; any details of using it there
>  - Debugging; --gtk-debug flags (debugging.txt information)
>  - Changes in 1.2, 2.0, replacing the Changes-XX.txt files
>  - Memory management (updated refcounting.txt equivalent)
>  - Compiling GTK programs (covers pkg-config, debug defines
>    from debugging.txt, etc.)
>  - Running GTK apps; command line options parsed by gtk_init()

I would suggest NOT putting this information in the Reference Manual
since this document is, IMHO, specifically used as a programmer's
reference for API specifications.  GLib and Gtk+ programmers go there to
see how a particular function, macro, or data structure is defined and
how it should be used.  Nothing else is needed in the Reference Manual.

As for the above material, I would suggest however composing this
information into a SEPARATE document like a User's Guide similar to the
templates and formats of the gnome-doc tools for example or just plain
ol' Docbook stylesheets.  This document could go into a separate
directory alongside the reference directory.

Eric.