border size around default buttons

Where is the size of the border set that gets drawn around the default
button?  I've seen code in various engines that draws this, but haven't
found where the border size is set.  I'm trying to modify a theme to be a
lot tighter and I'd like to significantly reduce the size around the
button to just a couple of pixels for default buttons, instead of the 5 or
10 pixels it currently is.  Is there a style setting somewhere that sets
this, or is it just arbitrarily set in gtk?

In the meantime I'll pour over the gtk code.

Michael