gtk 1.2 gdk_window_set_decorations question

I'm trying to write a gtk app that I want to display without any windo
decorations.  (It will run full screen on a PDA).  I've tried doing the
following:

gdk_window_set_decorations(window1->window);

where window1 is aa GtkWindow top-level window.  I've tried putting it
in various places, before the show() command, and after.  I can't get it
to work at all.  What's the proper procedure for doing this?  Before or
after the window is realized, widgets added to it, or what?

Also, how to I get the window manager to maximize my app using GDK/GTK
calls (or Xlib calls if necessary)?

Thanks,
Michael