Re: gettext implementation for glib

Daniel Egger <egger suse de> writes:

> Am 05 Aug 2001 12:00:15 -0400 schrieb Alex Larsson:
>
> > >  I'd also welcome a gettext compatible replacement (in the sense
> > >  of being catalog compatible) that
> > >  a) works like expected without any randomness
> > Eh? Is glibc gettext random? how?
>
> It is random in the sense that it sometimes works and other times
> doesn't. Just yesterday I discovered a new problem with gettext
> and Umlauts in UTF-8 locales. Also the implementation works not the
> way the documentation says (said?) it should.

Bruno Haible is being quite responsive in maintaining gettext these
days. I'm sure any bugs you reported would be fixed quickly.

> > >  b) is local to an application and not global to the system wrt
> > >     the loaded data
>
> > I don't really understand this.
>
> gettext in glibc is global to all applications, that means that all
> programs using it utilize the same data in memory for the translation
> lookup which is really bad.

I don't even know how I would even go about implementing this
in a library if I wanted to... are you sure?

(I think gettext does memmap .mo files, but that shouldn't change
behavior as far as people using the library are concerned.)