Re: shared library dependencies (again)

On 28 Apr 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The basic issue is that included modules must be built before
> pango as convenience libraries and then linked into libpangox,
> etc. While modules built as dlloaded modules must, with James's
> change, be built _after_ libpangox so they can depend on
> libpangox.
>
> Yet, the set of included modules is specified at configure time,
> and this is useful a feature I don't want to lose.
>
> My only idea right now, is to make configure.in generate a shadow
> symlinked copy of modules/ as included-modules/, have both
> of these appear in the toplevel SUBDIRS, and use some hackery
> to get different AM_CONDITIONAL defines defined in the two
> trees.

	How 'bout if you remove "module" directory (and perhaps also the dir
containing libpangox) from the SUBDIRS line (but keep it in DIST_SUBDIRS or
whatever that variable's called).  Then add something like the following:

# Build pango compiled-in modules
modules-builtin:
	$(MAKE) -C modules modules-builtin

# Build pango dynmaic modules
modules-dynamic:
	$(MAKE) -C modules modules-dynamic

dnl Okay, this goes somewhere else if you're using Automake, but I think you
dnl get the idea...
all: modules-builtin libpangox modules-dynamic

----

	Admittedly, I haven't looked into the tree recently, so I don't know
how well this will actually work.  However, I /think/ it will solve your
problem.

- Bibek