Re: shared library dependencies (again)

On 28 Apr 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > The one issue with my build patches is compiling pango modules into
> > libpango.  In order to have correct dependencies in the modules, libpango
> > must be built first.  But to compile modules into libpango, the modules
> > must be built first.  I haven't worked out how to address this.  The patch
> > makes things work in the case where no modules are compiled into libpango.
>
> I'd like to see these changes go in soon. But I think we have to
> resolve this issueof included modules be resolved first. I admit to
> being also puzzled as to how to do this.

I don't think the glib or gtk+ patches have this problem, so could
probably be checked in.  It should be possible to apply each patch
independently without breaking anything.

For pango, I suppose you could have a makefile that gets run before the
pango subdir looking something like this:

if INCLUDE_BASIC_X
pango_basic_x = $(top_builddir)/modules/basic/libpango-basic-x.la
endif

all: $(pango_basic_x) ...

$(top_builddir)/modules/basic/libpango-basic-x.la:
	cd $(top_builddir)/modules/basic && $(MAKE) libpango-basic-x.la

It would look pretty horible, but would probably work.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/