Re: GdkPixbufAnimation

Helmethead <hoshem mel comcen com au> writes:

> While on the subject, you should try using the GdkPixbufLoader. I
> haven't been able to get my head very well around the problems and
> come up with a solution..
>
> I vaguely remember some things:
> - Biggest problem is that area_prepared doesn't pass in the new pixbuf
> as documented, making the api unusable

It seems to work in the test suite.  Which loader (file type) isn't
passing in a new pixbuf as documented?  Can you file a bug?

> - The api is awkward and crappy to implement. It seems designed for
> applications that don't know whether they want a pixbuf or an
> animation, which is a bit silly.

This is indeed what it's written for.  If you are opening an unknown
file (like a web-browser might do) and are just getting a stream of
bytes, you may not know until you have the second frame that you are
getting an animation (as opposed to a static image.)  Indeed, we might
make the generalization that all images are animations; some just have
one frame.

> - It requires that the first frame of an animation be used as the
> "static image" if that's what the app wants. Maybe this is what you
> want though, I don't know.

It's up to you.  The loader just loads all the frames up.  I'm not sure
what else it should do.

> The loader api also depends on the GtkPixbufFrame style of doing
> things, if you want to abolish it you need to rework the loader I
> think.

There are definately issues with the GdkPixbufFrame, but I don't think
the fundamental design is flawed -- just some of the details.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Jonathan