Re: Portability and distribution with Gtk+ 1.3

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 07:07:57PM +0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> > uses a shared library (compiling on Linux).  Fortunately, zlib
> > compiles on every platform we've tried so far.  As does libpng, for
> > that matter, for which we do that same thing.
>
> That just means it's "ported", not "portable". For the most part, if it
> doesn't use configure (with feature tests, not platform tests) and
> libtool, some group of users (which almost always includes me :-) isn't
> going to be able to compile it easily.

Well, let's see, the AbiWord build system doesn't use configure
(although that's in the process of changing) and with it, libpng
builds on the following platforms (this is just a sample)

Windows 2000
Linux S/390
QNX
Mac OS X
AIX
BeOS

And, in not a single instance, has anyone had any problems that I am
aware of with the portability of libpng or zlib.

So you might want to revise your estimates.

sam th --- sam uchicago edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss