Re: what value of $LANG is required for gtk-2.0?

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Robert Brady wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> >  That's not enough.
> >  As I said, various locale categories should be properly set in order for
> > functions returning strings that depend on the locale to work properly (e.g.
> > strftime).
>
> Yep.  And for example, GtkCalendar converts these manually.
>
> Maybe we want a  g_strftime() that does such a conversion automatically?
> (There really aren't so many functions here to be worried about, and the
>  benefit of still being able to work in a non-UTF-8 locale is well worth
>  it)

 Hmm, do you mean that we can modify it to perform charset conversion?
 That also may be a solution - but it will require wrappers for all functions
 that return locale-dependant information (though there are not many) and
forcing programmers to use these wrappers. Or we should force programmers to
convert return values of such functions to utf8 (AFAR QT uses this apporach).
 But we should choose only one of these options of course.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad