Re: what value of $LANG is required for gtk-2.0?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Robert Brady wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> >  Yes, the gettext() in glibc-2.2 converts strings from catalog charset to
> > locale's charset on the fly.
>
> Unless overridden with bind_textdomain_codeset.  Which we do.

 That's not enough.
 As I said, various locale categories should be properly set in order for
functions returning strings that depend on the locale to work properly (e.g.
strftime).

> >  But why you ask this? - the major concern is probably inability to use gtk on
> > anything but linux or solaris or freebsd for non-ascii locales.
>
> It works just fine at the moment.

 Yes, hackish solution of using locale with charset different from utf8 will
of course work for most software, but not for all.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad