Re: what value of $LANG is required for gtk-2.0?

On 12 Apr 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

 OK, that's nice - the hack with bind_textdomain_charset() implies that gtk2
doesn't depend on any value of $LANG. This is wrong though - e.g. strftime()
or g_strftime() will return a crap (i.e. not-utf8 sequence) under non-ascii
locale if LC_TIME is not "*.utf8". So, all locale categories should be set to
"*.utf8" locales - at least on systems that support utf8 locales well.

 The approach I proposed is to not require any $LANG for gtk programs, but set
all locale categories to "*.utf8" counterparts in gdk_set_locale() so that
user won't have to explicitly set $LANG and other variables for each gtk
program if it uses functions whoose return values are locale-dependant. Have
you thoroughly considered it?