Re: Setting/style-property enhancements

On 1 Apr 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> > > Perhaps the parser functions should take GtkSettingsValue
> > > instead of GValue?
> >
> > that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, a GtkSettingsValue is there
> > in the first place, what we want is to convert that into a GValue
> > that can be queried through the gtk_widget_style_property* functions,
> > not another GtkSettingsValue.
> >
> > lemme just fix the parser code, so parsers always get precedence
> > over value transforms.
>
> You are going to change the GtkSettingsValue back into a string
> before passing it to the parser?... sounds a little convoluted,
> but I guess it works...

pssssst! you shouldn't tell the public! ;)
well, the thing is that gtkrc.c doesn't have the slightest idea on
what property exactly it is parsing, and we need it to support
plain LONG/FLOAT/STRING types so the default value transforms
apply to most properties.
based on that, going stringinfile->int->gstring for boxed types
isn't that bad, the runtime overhead is negligible (since we cache
parsed values) and the memory overhead is, well, negative ;)

plase go ahead and commit your code, i'll fix the parsers then.
you don't by chance have a color property to comit as well?

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

---
ciaoTJ