Re: List/tree widgets and keyboard navigation

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Calum Benson wrote:

> None of the apps I've used in the GNOME environment seem to allow you to
> select an item in a list by typing the first few letters of its name
> (when the list has focus), so I assume it's not supported at the widget
> level... are there any plans to add this functionality to the standard
> GTK tree/list widgets?
>
> It's really rather a useful feature, when you know what you're looking
> for in a big list-- much quicker than scrolling, and it means you don't
> have to take your hands off the keyboard.  (It also has beneficial
> implications for people who are unable to use a mouse.)

Indeed, we were hoping to add that feature to the file dialog, not
realizing it doesn't exist at the widget level.  I suppose it could be
wrapped on somehow, but it really ought to be the widgets job.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg