List/tree widgets and keyboard navigation

None of the apps I've used in the GNOME environment seem to allow you to
select an item in a list by typing the first few letters of its name
(when the list has focus), so I assume it's not supported at the widget
level... are there any plans to add this functionality to the standard
GTK tree/list widgets?

It's really rather a useful feature, when you know what you're looking
for in a big list-- much quicker than scrolling, and it means you don't
have to take your hands off the keyboard.  (It also has beneficial
implications for people who are unable to use a mouse.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson ireland sun com    Desktop Enginering Group

--- Begin Message ---
This is the Postfix program at host mail.gnome.org.

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please contact <postmaster gnome org>

delete your own text from the message returned below.

			The Postfix program

<gtk-devel gnome org>: unknown user: "gtk-devel"

None of the GNOME apps/applets I've used seem to allow you to select an
item in a list by typing the first few letters of its name (when the
list has focus), so I assume it's not supported at the widget level...
are there any plans to add this functionality to the tree/list widgets?

--
CALUM BENSON, User Interface Designer  Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson ireland sun com    Desktop Enginering Group

--- End Message ---

--- End Message ---