RE: gdk and vnc server/viewer at 16 bpp weirdness

On 10-Sep-2000 Vlad Harchev wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  Have anybody used vnc server for X (running at 16 bpp, commandline option
> '-depth 16') viewed with vncviewer (for any platform) running at 16 bpp too
> (same commandline switch). I tried rather lot of combinations of vnc
> server for X/(viewer,platform) and on all of them images that are displayed
> using gdk (probably using imlib, but I can be wrong) are displayed
> totally incorrectly - some junk (looking like white noise + color) without
> any
> similarity to the original images. It's not a bug in vnc software since qt
> and
> motif apps look fine at showing pictures (netscape, kview). It seems there is
> a nasty bug in gdk. More information: gcolorsel shows right colors, only
> areas that were drawn by copying pixmap are broken (root window's image,
> enlightnement's decorations, and (if pixmap theme is selected) every gtk
> widget. I've tried various versions of Xvnc (including most recent 3.3.3r1)
> and vncviewer for X and Windows - both show the same. I used gtk-1.2.6 on
> RH6.2 on x86.
>
>  I've attached screenshot of gpanel. The current gtk theme is SatinBlack, so
> everything should be dark shades of gray on the shot, but it looks like some
> noise (though gradients are seen).
>
>  Have anybody reported anything?
>
>  Best regards,
>   -Vlad

I've had no problems with vnc (16b or otherwise) doing gtk stuff. I've only
used windows (95, 98, NT4, 2000) for clients, but I've used it on redhat(6.0?),
debian, and fbsd without ill effects :/ Might want to check that you're using
the same encoding on both sides?

        -Erik <erik smluc org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.