Re: GLib headers

Hi Owen,

> > Ok, I checked it in. Now we have lots of header files, all of which gets
> > installed to /usr/include/glib-2.0.
> >
> > Originally I would have liked it to be /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib to avoid
> > the application-seen name space pollution (#include <giochannel.h> vs.
> > #include <glib/giochannel.h>), but that would have really been a mess to
> > change.
>
> We need to do it, even if it is painful. The only problem I can think
> of is the typical problem where <glib/guichannel.h> has to work before
> instlalation - I think the best solution is to make a glib/ subdirectory
> of glib and put the subheaders in there.

Ok. That however might be best done by moving the *,v files around in CVS?
Otherwise I'm willing to do it the hard way (cvs rm; cvs add)

> (#include <glib/glib.h> is not possible to do now, but that can be
> left as a solitary exception, or we could even install glib.h in
> two places.)

I think glib.h is ok.

> > But I would like to rename glib-object.h to gobject.h, is that possible,
> > Tim, or was there some other reasoning behing that name other than
> > avoiding gobject.h inside /usr/include?
>
> If I recall my discussion with Tim, the concern was that gobject.h
> should, by convention, be the file that includes the GObject definition,
> and Tim wanted to avoid having two different gobject.h files.

Ok, I don't care much, but it looks ugly. I would want to include <gobject.h>
or <glib/gobject.h> or maybe even <gobject/gobject.h>, but not <glib-object.h>

> > Also I would like to either move gmodule.h into glib/ or gthread into
> > glib/gthread and gobject.h into glib/gobject to make it more consistent.
> > That should be best done by someone out there with actual write permission
> > to CVS by moving the gmodule.c,v file to save the history. (Bad enough, we
> > lost it for all the new header files)
>
> Umm, I don't follow - you just said that everything was being installed
> not in glib/...

Here I don't mean the installation directories, but the distribution
directories.

> > Additionally I don't see any strong reasons not to include gobject.h and
> > gmodule.h per default into glib.h (as gthread.h already is). Alternativly
> > we could NOT include gthread.h on default.
>
> The main difference is that most of the thread functions can be used
> (as noops) without including -lgthread, but the gmodule and gobject
> functionality is contained in separate libraries.

Ok, Ok, good point.

I'm away next week, so that has to wait a bit, anyway, if not someone out
there is going to do it.

Bye,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wilhelmi                   |            här ovanför alla molnen
mailto:wilhelmi ira uka de           |     är himmlen så förunderligt blå