Re: GNU-Pth and GLIB

First off, if you build pth with "--enable-syscall-hard" and use the
pthreads-compatibility library, everything just works without any
pth-specific code anywhere. So I think we don't need explicit glib pth
support (unless there are OSes we support that have neither pthreads
nor syscall(2)?)

> Basically I doubt it would be a good idea. Using threads in GLib/GTK
> applications will mostly occur, because the taks at hand can't be solved
> easily with the main loop.

Yes and no. It will occur because the programmer decided he wanted to
use threads. Maybe he didn't want to write things out the async way.
Maybe he had to use a library that does blocking IO but doesn't have
async interfaces. So you have one thread do file/network IO, and
another doing GUI. Pth will work just fine in that case.

(Yes, I'm talking about evolution-mail :)

-- Dan